Top three benefits:
- Expand your workforce quickly and easily, for either long-term or short-term assignments.
- Check the workers’ profile and ratings, if available, before engaging them.
- Let the platform handle (basic) training and payments.
Top three challenges:
- Not all countries have online work platforms.
- Workers might be less loyal to one last mile distribution company if new opportunities are presented on the platform.
- Gigmatching platforms have been criticised for not offering decent work conditions such as fair wage and working hours.
- MESH is an online community for entrepreneurs in the informal economy that has registered more than 150 thousand members. Unilever is recruiting retailers in Kenya through the MESH platform.
- Jobtech connects talented people to employment opportunities through gig matching, job matching, and e-commerce.
- Instadriver offers an online marketplace to hire one of the 10,000 registered and verified (truck) drivers.
- Shortlist is an executive search and talent tech company that helps its clients across Africa and in India build great teams.
- Let us know who else should be on this list
- The Jobtech Alliance presents current trends and challenges in Africa’s job sector.
- This free online course on Exploring Business Models in the Jobtech Sector features speakers from the Jobtech Alliance, Caantin and M-Kopa.
- CGAP’s report explores how gig platforms enable financial inclusion.
Listen to The Flip Africa podcast episode on the future of work.